Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sleeping In

My current job is allowing me about 5 hours of sleep per night, so getting up at 6:00 AM for our latest company sized Future Soldier function was pretty easy compared to my usual wake up time of 4:30.

All of the Future Soldiers met at the recruiting station and we left at 6:45 for the Army Reserve base up by Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City. I don't remember what it's called, so I'll probably add that in later.

There were about 75 Future Soldiers from the different recruiting stations around northern Utah present. We fell into formation in the parking lot and were given instructions on what we would be doing that day. There were 3 classes that we rotated through. A weapons information class, a simulated firing range with handguns, and a class from Army OneSource (A program designed to help the families of soldiers in any way it can) and Wells Fargo. Oh, and lunch, a really good catered Italian lunch, probably to try to convince us that food in the Army is going to be great.

The class from OneSource was pretty boring, probably because I don't have a family I need to support. Naturally I tood infinitely more interest in the weapons classes, and shot pretty well with the simulated pistols.

All in all it was a good experience and I'm glad I went. In the course of the function I met a couple more people that have aspirations of being something great in the Army, and are idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment